|Lee County was created June 9, 1825 and December 11, 1826 with lands aquired by
the Creek sessions of January 1826 and March 31, 1826. This was an original county.
There are different opinions about for whom Lee County was named.
Some believe it was named for Richard Henry Lee who first proposed a Declaration
of Independence of the American Colonies, but who, so far as anyone knows never set foot
on Georgia soil. Others believe it was named to honor Major General Henry Lee, 1756 - 1818,
universally known as "Light Horse Harry" and the author of the famous characterization
of Washington. It seems plausible that it was named in honor of this Henry Lee, rather
than Richard Henry Lee.
The county seat was originally Starkville where the courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1856.
Leesburg is the county seat. Other communities: (Adams Station, now Neyami), Armena, Beloit, Byne Crossroads,
Century, Chehaw, Chokee, Eagle Pond, Edwards (historical), Forrester, Enterprise
Jordan Place, Leesburg, Mossy Dell, New York (historical), Nutview (historical), Oakland
Palmyra, Pender Town, Philema, Scrutchins, Smithville, Starksville, Stocks, Sumterville, Tutalosi (historical)
Webster, Whitsett. More History